Thursday, July 7, 2011

Diet?

So, I've been thinking. Should I go on a diet?  A fabric diet.  I have so much fabric that I've bought with the intentions of making a quilt and haven't gotten around to using yet.  Poor fabric is just sitting in the bin waiting to be cut and sewn into something wonderful.  I get distracted easily so when some new fabric I love comes out I buy it and whip up a quilt top and the "old" fabric gets pushed further back on my WiP list.  It's hard to resist the new fabric when I read so many wonderful blogs and everyone is making such gorgeous quilts with the current lines, I don't want to be left out. ha!

So, what if I don't buy any new fabric until I've used up my stash of previously purchased fabric?  Think I can do it?  I don't know if I can.  Just the thought of not buying any fabric makes me a little panicky, makes my palms a little sweaty, too.  I might have to work out a compromise.  For every 2 sets of fabric I use I could buy 1 new bundle of fabric.  I'll think about that.  hmmm...how far into my stash would that get me?

I'm just afraid that the longer the fabric sits around without being made up into something then the chances it will NEVER be made into something are greatly increased.  I don't want to open the bin and look in there and think "This stuff is not my style anymore" and end up giving it all away.  yikes!

What do you think?

6 comments:

Melinda said...

I'm there with you. I still have that Amy Butler bundle I bought at Shop Hop, plus all the new stuff! Plus there's all the cheaper stuff I already had. I think it's a never ending battle, but I'm bent on getting some done with all the fabric I have built up as well!

Linz said...

hahaha! I had to put myself on a fabric diet too! Hardest diet I've ever been on... I have been working through all the fabric from my "buy everything in sight" phase by joining quilt a longs and ONLY using fabric I have for them, and then ONLY buying fabric if I have a specific project for it. I haven't been perfect, but I am getting better! :) Good luck!

Sharon said...

That's a tough diet to stick to. Good luck!

ARTSAVVY said...

Don't bother, buy what you want to and send the old stuff to me for the fabric graveyard in VA.

Laura said...

Oh i need to go on a fabric diet - just so hard!!!

Laura said...

Oh i need to go on a fabric diet - just so hard!!!