Monday, May 9, 2011

Lovin' Wonky Stars

I love wonky stars. You know, as opposed to the stars that are not "wonky". I just think they are so interesting to look at. At first I was a little tentative in putting the right amount of "wonky" in the blocks but I quickly realized that if the blocks aren't wonky enough they come out looking more like a mistake than a block made that way on purpose. These ended up being very fun to make with no stress at all. There's a great tutorial here for a 12" block but the sizes can easily be adjusted for whatever size block you want to make. I saw a quilt like this on Ashley's blog and instantly fell in love with it and knew I had to make one for myself.

I drive past this neat old aqua fence every day and it was just a great spot to show off my quilt. Right after I finished my photo shoot I looked a little to the right and notice a huge "NO TRESPASSING" sign. Oops. I didn't go on the property, just borrowed the fence for a second or two. Sorry.

This is the back of the quilt. Hello one little white star down in the corner. I'm so happy with the way the quilting turned out. My mother-in-law the longarmer quilted it for me and did a fabulous job! Thanks Droogie Poogie! The random and angular straight line quilting is just what this quilt called for.

I love the swirls in the middle of the stars, too. I also added a little strip of color to the binding to break up some of the aqua.

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day weekend! I know I did.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Loved it on FB and love it here too!

Karen said...

Hi Mitzi.
I am just popping over to visit from the Quilt festival. I do like this wonky star quilt. It looks great. Love the colour in the stars against the white. Gorgeous back, too, and lovely quilting!
Cheers, Karen.

Melinda said...

I know you love the wonky stars so check this out!
http://quilt-it.blogspot.com/2011/05/stars-stars-stars.html