Monday, July 11, 2011

Look what I made!

Well, I finally did it.  I branched out and made something besides a quilt.  I really only enjoy sewing quilts.  That is all I want to sew.  I don't want to sew a button on my shorts.  I don't want to hem my pants.  I don't want to make doll clothes or stuffed animals.  I wish I wanted to make a bag or two but I don't.  I only want to sew quilts.  However, the ugliness of my ironing board cover was really irritating me.  See?  Isn't it gross?


I read several great online tutorials for making an ironing board cover and I had full intentions of following one of those but once it came down to it I just kind of did my own thing.  I flipped that sucker over on it's top (much like I use to flip my bicycle over on the handle bars and pretend I was servicing it) and inspected the underside.  The cover itself is not old or shabby, just stained with water marks so I decided to sew my new fabric right onto the existing cover so I wouldn't have to bother with the cord or elastic or anything of that sort.  I added an extra layer of padding by putting a towel in between the old cover and the new fabric.  Then I pinned the fabric onto the cover and cut out a pattern of sorts.  Once I had that pinned I went to the sewing machine and with my walking foot on I just sewed around the edge of the cover right beside the existing cord.  It wasn't all that easy to do and I don't know if I would do it that way again, but, it's done.  In my head I thought it would take me about 20 minutes {insert huge laugh} but 3 hours later I ended up with this.


The fabric is some Anna Maria Horner I got on sale at Intown Quilters back at the shop hop in March. It's from her Drawing Room home dec collection and the print is called Trellis.


Now I just can't find enough things to iron and even my iron looks happier.  Better get started on that next quilt, goodness knows that will be a good way to get some use out of this new cover.

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Does that mean I can send my ironing to your house because it's so fun now? I hate ironing, but I might do it if my board looked like that!

Linz said...

CUTE!! That is the happiest iron board I have ever seen!! Great work!

Lindsey said...

Gorgeous! That might even inspire me to iron. Go Mitzi!

ARTSAVVY said...

Sorry the granmama' wasn't able to take care of this for you.....ha ha

ARTSAVVY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

I wish my sorry, sad ironing board looked like that! You did an awsome job!!!

Anonymous said...

I just made a new one too. My old one was like plastic when I took it off.